- Winter is fashion’s most depressing season. Everything is dark and dull, bulky and unflattering. But now that spring has arrived and we’re at the end of the snowy tunnel- it’s time to pull yourself up by your Doc Marten shoe strings, learn how to layer, while still retaining some type of human shape. Follow these few tips to get you through the last bitter weeks of wind, cold and rain. (WARNING: most of these tips are for feminine fashion but there are a few cross-overs!)
- Thigh high thick socks are your best friend. They come in many colors, patterns, lengths and thicknesses. Perfect for pairings with boots, dresses and skirts- it will break you out of your legging and pants pattern. In addition, tights can dress up any outfit, or tie it all together. From lace, to patterns, to solid colors, to nude- there is no reason not to own at least three pairs! Sweater tights will keep you warmer but you can pair a solid color thigh-high sock with patterned tights for equal warmth. And you can keep your skirts and dresses in the front of your closet for just a little bit longer!
- Use scarves as accessories! Imagine it as a nice chunky statement necklace, instead of a scratchy wool torture device. More than one solid color adds variety in length, material as well as color. Fashion scarves can be pretty but may not be the warmest choice. Just remember when wearing your scarf outside it goes UNDER your coat, its purpose is to keep YOU warm.
- Salt Stains on Boots! I don’t care how cute your outfit is-no one looks good with salt rings around their boots or shoes. These stains latch on to your footwear easily, especially during icy winters when sidewalks and roads have been treated with rock salt. The best thing to do is to brush off excess salt and dirty, using a shoe brush or try a conditioner or a suede spray cleaner. Seriously it’s like $15-$20, and will save you money over time so you’re not buying new shoes every year! If you don’t want to fork over the bucks try a mixture of white vinegar and water. Should you get a stain on your shoes, you can try rubbing them together and this might get the stain out without ruining the material. An emery board can also do the trick but do it lightly so the material isn’t destroyed.
- Find some funky sweaters! GoodWill, Buffalo Exchange, even your parents’ closets are great places to start! Fashion is cyclical, so the basics of fashion 30-40 years ago will still be fashionable today! Easily pair them with leggings or skinny jeans and wear them like a tunic. Guys, varsity sweaters are back! The more authentic the sweater- the better it will look. Sometimes a light sweater is needed during the early spring months when temperatures hover around 40 and 50 degrees.
- Make earrings your statement jewelry piece. Use big earrings to make up for the lack of sparkle and detail during the early part of the year with it’s dull color palette. Chandelier earrings, colorful hoops, or animals are great options. There is so much variety in earrings there’s no way you won’t find something that you love and look great in!
For more fashion tips, quirky life advice, and just all around ridiculousness- you can listen to Shawn O’Donoghue, Tuesday mornings from 7-11 AM every week or follow her on Twitter @donniewho!